Today Linda has challenged us to incorporate ‘Silent/silence’ in our #SoCS posts.
Interesting to note how busy it is inside my mind. No silence here. Just random ponderings on songs with the word ‘silent/silence’ in the title or lyrics. There’s the classic ‘Sound of Silence’ by Simon and Garfunkel. Then there’s implied silence in the Alison Kraus song, ‘When you say nothing at all’.
Then I remember times when I’ve used silence to great effect, particularly when running in-house training sessions. Honestly! Adults are the worst group to teach. It’s like duck herding. Instead of trying to shout over the top of all the yammering and whinging (“my laptop doesn’t have an ‘any’ key! What do I do…. etc”) I stopped talking, stopped moving round the classroom, and waited, arms folded, poker face on.
I caught the eye of one chatterbox, fixed him with a grim look. He nudged his neighbour into silence, and like a Mexican wave round a stadium, each person finally shut the heck up! You could have heard a pin drop. Bliss!
And finally, I’ll leave you with this one…’silence is golden’, especially after a long day at work.
Wishing you all a wonderful weekend xx
Here are Linda‘s guideline to taking part –
1. Your post must be stream of consciousness writing, meaning no editing (typos can be fixed), and minimal planning on what you’re going to write.
2. Your post can be as long or as short as you want it to be. One sentence – one thousand words. Fact, fiction, poetry – it doesn’t matter. Just let the words carry you along until you’re ready to stop.
3. I will post the prompt here on my blog every Friday, along with a reminder for you to join in. The prompt will be one random thing, but it will not be a subject. For instance, I will not say “Write about dogs”; the prompt will be more like, “Make your first sentence a question,” “Begin with the word ‘The,’” or will simply be a single word to get you started.
4. Ping back! It’s important, so that I and other people can come and read your post! For example, in your post you can write “This post is part of SoCS:” and then copy and paste the URL found in your address bar at the top of this post into yours. Your link will show up in my comments for everyone to see. The most recent pingbacks will be found at the top. NOTE: Pingbacks only work from WordPress sites. If you’re self-hosted or are participating from another host, such as Blogger, please leave a link to your post in the comments below.
5. Read at least one other person’s blog who has linked back their post. Even better, read all of them! If you’re the first person to link back, you can check back later or go to the previous week by following my category, “Stream of Consciousness Saturday,” which you’ll find below the “Like” button on my post.
6. Copy and paste the rules (if you’d like to) in your post. The more people who join in, the more new bloggers you’ll meet and the bigger your community will get!
7. As a suggestion, tag your post “SoCS” and/or “#SoCS” for more exposure and more views.
8. Have fun!